Sunday, January 03, 2010

A Vinedresser's "To Do" List

.


On the way to church this morning, the first church service of 2010, I was reflecting on a post I had recently made on my family blog about wanting what God wants, leaving the changes up to Him.

One of the reasons I feel that way is because there is so much work to be done in me for Him, so much fire needed to refine me into His image... I can't work on every single one of them at once, but He can... I can't begin to choose which ones to work on, but He can. He knows His vineyard, He alone breathed life into it, and the harvest is His.

Then, in church, this scripture was shared...

Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare.
Psalm 40:5 - NIV

It took my breath away...

After the sermon, as everyone was mingling and socializing, I finished reading the rest of the scriptures that had been shared during the sermon, including this one. The following words, along with the words in Psalm 40:5, speak of where my heart is. It's not that there isn't room for improvement, it's that there is so much need for improvement, such a need for a Silversmith's refiner's fire, such a need for a Vinedresser... it's too important a task, too overwhelming a task to try to choose what He would want for me.

For troubles without number surround me; my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see. They are more than the hairs of my head, and my heart fails within me.
Psalm 40:12 - NIV


I can't imagine being in more capable hands, and I can't imagine how busy He is going to be... but I can already imagine how willing I am... because I am already there.

The pruning won't be easy... but God cares more about my character than about how comfortable I am... and the way I see it, I'm comfortable with being uncomfortable -- I am confident that the end results will be a fruitful spiritual harvest for His Kingdom.



Change me, Lord...

I am clay in Your hands...

Silver held carefully above the flame...

The vine in Your vineyard.



.

3 Comments:

TanyaLea said...

Well HELLO Dear Friend!! I can see I have some catching up to do over this last week or so. I did try leaving comments on your posts when we were up north with family... but every time I am tethered to my hubby's blackberry, and I try leaving a comment on your blog (and your's ONLY!...I don't get it?!) it FREEZES up the whole computer on me. Anyhoooo...

I'm just glad to be able to finally comment again and look forward to reading more regularly now that the holidays are over and life is feeling a little more normal again! ;) This was a great post. Kami once sent me a short story about the 'refiner' of silver, and it how it relates to the Lord in our own lives...and it really touched me. I saved it to re-read every now and again!

And the poem in your previous post is just great! Sometimes you just find one that has such meaning and definition in your life, and you hold onto it for years and years... like this one! Thanks for sharing.

Happy New Year and God bless! <><

love, Tanya

Mama M. said...

You have such a way with words, my friend!

Your comment made me smile...but, yeah...it is freaky when those babes don't move, isn't it?!!

Lauresa said...

Pruning.. Daily. Uncomfortable, yes., but oh how empowering. :-)

..Being open to His pruning takes courage, confidence (in Him), and a HUGE smidgin of faith....

Cheers to 2010.
xo

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!