Monday, January 30, 2012

Emancipation of Robert Sadler

A year ago, I did not know what the word emancipation was.  A year ago, I might have passed this book when it was offered for review.  I would have missed out on one of the best books I have ever read.

The Emancipation Of Robert Sadler
The powerful true story of a twentieth century plantation slave

Although I had read many books on slavery and human trafficking, this true story of a child slave drew me in for three reasons.

1.  It focused on child slavery in the U.S. after the Emancipation Proclamation of 1863.  This was the first book of it's kind that I would have read to help me in my abolishment advocacy.
2.  It was split into three definite sections -- Slavery, Freedom, Ministry.  This implied that there would be much to learn as we followed Mr. Sadler's story from beginning to the eternal rest.
3.  Richard and the millions of children like him, still awaiting freedom.  I close my eyes, and I see him... I owe it to him to continue to equip myself with knowledge.


I must say, if it hadn't been for the flawless way this book was written, it would have been a story almost too hard to bear on the heels of our time in Ghana. There are times when I felt physically sick and I could feel my heart bruise deeply for the injustice  and pain inflicted upon these innocent, precious lives not only in the south, but everywhere that slavery has tainted mankind.

The writing was exquisite and did the story full justice in as much as a book can.You could literally feel yourself living Robert Sadler's experiences alongside of him as he painted the brutally vivid picture of his journey through slavery from the age of 5, to freedom, and then ministry.

As much as it was important to me to read about his life as a child slave and the realities of what life was like for not only him, but all those who served with their lives alongside of him, it was his later years that touched me the most.

The way that God protected the purity of his heart and led him straight into a life of ministry worthy of his own book in the Holy Bible left me closing the book feeling a different kind of pain than that of being exposed to the horrors of slavery...

The pain of the loss this world suffered at the passing of one of the most exceptional examples of Christ who had ever walked on American soil, and the finest example of a human diamond, born of extreme pressure and trials turned into beautiful and shining glory for God.



Easily in my top 5 favorite non fiction books, ever.


I strongly believe that this book needs to be read by all -- and as such, I would like to donate my copy of this book to one of my blog reader.  Simply leave a comment sharing how slavery has impacted your life, how you would benefit from this book, and how I can contact you if you are the winner.  


Draw will be made Wednesday, February 8th at 11pm EST.


Disclaimer:
"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.  Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".